Tuesday 20 December 2011

Slowly but surely

Now that I have all the bits I need to build this thing (6 more PSUs and 4 SATA hard drives have arrived). I've started the modifying the case in earnest. So far I've managed to cut out four fan holes, drill the holes for the screws, perforate the top with the blender logo and start etching in the machine name. I've also made some more purchases.
I checked my motherboard manual and they all have gigabyte capable lan ports so I have bought 10 cat5e patch cables and have started looking for an 8 port gigabyte switch. They seem to be going for about £15 on ebay.

I have to say that I am quite pleased with buying parts on e-bay so far. Almost everything has been exactly as described and worked perfectly. The only problems have been memory and hard-drives. I've been caught out by a misleading description for memory (I thought I'd bought 8 cards when I had only bought 2) which is frustrating. The problem with the hard-drives is that they are hard-drives. The most mechanical part of a computer and also the part most prone to failure. Second hand hard-drives are then by their very nature a bit of a risk. I'm sure if I was trying to build the top end machine and buying new hard-drives I wouldn't have had any problems; but I'm not. Well the exact issue is that four out of four of the hard-drives I've received from the seller were dudds and either completely dead or only visible to the bios. The seller has already sent me two replacements which work perfectly with a further two on the way. Still it's a bit of a pain having to wait. The key thing here is to test everything as soon as it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.